The Humanist Community in Silicon Valley offers Forum programs on Sundays at 11:00 which are typically speakers followed by a period of Q & A, but may also be poetry readings, talent shows, etc. Join us! Note this page is typically updated monthly, and near the end of each month, once the schedule for the following month is firm.
- Staying Safe on the Internet: My Experience with Identity Theft Matt Courtney July 22, 2018 What could happen when hackers break into some of your online accounts and try to steal your identity? That’s exactly what happened to HCSV member Matt Courtney a few months ago when hackers hacked into his email and his phone account. He will tell the story of what happened, things he did right and things he did wrong. Then, Matt will ... Details
- The Eleven Ways of Wisdom – A Light at the End of the Tunnel Arthur Jackson July 29, 2018 Arthur Jackson, author of “How to Live the Good Live: A User’s Guide for Modern Humans” (2011), and an activist in the American Humanist Association since 1962 and the Humanist Community in Silicon Valley since the late 70s, will share his empirically derived guidelines for ethical behavior to achieve and maintain an Enlightened Community. After the Forum, please join us for ... Details
- Military Religious Freedom Foundation – A Different Fight Greg Petrequin August 5, 2018 The United States military can put religious pressure on active duty military personnel. Superior officers may push subordinates to attend and participate in faith-oriented events, often of the Fundamentalist Evangelical variety. It is illegal and unconstitutional of course, but this hasn’t stopped the abuse. In 2005, advocate Mikey Weinstein founded the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF, www.militaryreligiousfreedom.org) to fight such objectionable ... Details
- Science through the Power of Arts and Storytelling Dr. Masuma Ahmed August 12, 2018 Wait, science is not a monster that we have to be afraid of, or have to avoid at all cost! Science is everywhere and even in our everyday lives. It’s in the water we drink. It’s in the air we breathe in. Science is about why, what, and how. Why do we need to drink water? What is water made ... Details
- Evolutionary Progress Manuel Manga August 19, 2018 This talk will be based on reflections on the book “Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress” by Steven Pinker. Mr. Manga will expand on the key claims made by Pinker, but also on some of his limitations and assumptions about progress, sustainability, capitalism, and the role of evolutionary agents/leaders. Manuel Manga is co-founder of the Institute for ... Details
- Women’s Power to Stop War: WILPF is more than just Raging Grannies Cherrill Spencer August 26, 2018 The Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF), founded in 1915, envisions a world free from violence and armed conflict in which human rights are protected and women and men are equally empowered and involved in positions of leadership at the local, national and international levels. WILPF’s mission is to end and prevent war, ensure that women are represented ... Details