The Humanist Community in Silicon Valley offers Forum programs on Sundays at 11:00 which are typically speakers followed by a period of Q & A, but may also be poetry readings, talent shows, etc. Join us! Note this page is typically updated monthly, and near the end of each month, once the schedule for the following month is firm.
- Cryonics – Preserving Ourselves for the Future Dr. Ralph Merkle April 30, 2017 History makes it abundantly clear that science and technology are constantly advancing. Flight to the moon was little more than a dream in 1900, by 1969 it had become a reality. Today, medical technology can’t always keep us alive, let alone healthy. Looking ahead, we can already see technologies that will keep us both alive and healthy for as long ... Details
- Bias, Use of Force, and the Criminal Justice System Christopher Boscia May 7, 2017 This presentation will provide participants with a framework to evaluate the lawfulness of police shootings of civilians. Topics to be covered include how criminal charges are instituted, the definition of homicide and its defenses, and how cognitive bias affects the evaluation of officer involved shootings. Christopher Boscia has been a Deputy District Attorney for seven years prosecuting cases in Santa ... Details
- From Goddess to God: Elimination of the Feminine Divine Karen L. Garst May 14, 2017 Karen L. Garst will trace the female images and figurines of the Paleolithic through the Neolithic and examine the loss of the female deity in several cultures in the Middle East at about the same time in the Bronze Age. She will then contrast the memes of the goddess with the memes of the sole male deity that develops into ... Details
- Soaring Past 7 Billion: Population Challenges for a Crowded World John Seager May 21, 2017 John Seager, President & CEO of Population Connection (www.populationconnection.org), will address global population growth, its causes and impacts, and how we can meet those challenges. Global population grows by approximately 80 million people annually. In 1999, the United Nation’s Population Division projected that world population would reach 7 billion in 2013. Instead, we reached that milestone a full two years earlier than ... Details
- Goals of Veterans for Peace Phillip Pflager May 28, 2017 Mr. Pflager will speak about the goal of members of Veterans for Peace to serve the cause of world peace, and their pledge to use non-violent means to achieve these goals. Phillip Pflager is currently Chapter Contact for “South Bay/Peninsula” chapter of Veterans for Peace; a community partner of the San Jose Peace and Justice Center. Mr. Pflager enlisted into the Air ... Details