June 24, 2018
Mindy Berkowitz will discuss the following subjects:
– Setting the stage
– What is a refugee?
– Brief overview of the “typical” refugee resettlement process
– What do refugees bring with them?
– Housing challenges
– The Travel Bans
– Why the Jewish Family Services of Silicon Valley sued the Trump Administration
– Current state of refugee resettlement
– Update on our lawsuit
– Making a Case for Supporting Refugees
– How We Say Never Again
– My people were refugees too
– Now It’s Your Turn: How You Can Help
Mindy Berkowitz has been Executive Director of Jewish Family Services of Silicon Valley (JFS SV) since 2003 – and still claims it’s the best job she ever had. Mindy earned a BA in Sociology and Certificate in Women’s Studies from Rutgers University, prior to receiving a Masters in Jewish Communal Service from Hebrew Union College and a Masters in Social Work from Washington University. Before working at JFS SV, Mindy enjoyed an extensive nonprofit management career in mental health, camping and youth services. Mindy lives with her husband, Rabbi Allan Berkowitz in San Jose, CA. Mindy and Allan have four children and one grandson.
After the Forum, please join us for a lunch at 12:30pm. The lunch is complimentary for first-time visitors and students.
RSVP on Meetup here.
Like us on Facebook here.
Follow us on Twitter here.
See videos of our past Forums here.